Monday 29 April 2013

My first trip to Minsmere this year. 23rd April 2013.


I'll admit it now, I've not been out to photograph or birdwatch at all this year. Infact I will to say not since after my holiday in Wales back in Oct 2012. Bad of me, I know.
However, what with weather and work, it not been the easiest hobby to make time for of late. That and spring to was a little while to get going what with all that snow we have had, snow, rain....blah. Anyway....without making more excuses I did get an opputunity to go out for an afternoon walk around my fav RSPB reserve in the county, Minsmere.
I arrived with the weather feeling lovely and warm and a fairly clear sky. Took a stroll right round the reserve and finally settle down in the Island Mere hide in the hopes of catching sight of my first Bittern of the year.
I did however get a few distant shots of a Female Wheatear off the beach near East hide on my walk round.
 
I settled down in the hide and enjoyed the light warm breeze coming through the window, the sun was shining low in the sky giving everything a lease of life and glow. The rich colours of the reeds and plants seemed all that more vivid. The sounds of water and wildlife where a very relaxing backing track. I did have to wait long for my quay. On the left hand side of hide, where the reeds stopped and the water began, came out a Male Bittern. He made his way down the edge of the reeds fishing as he went.
Now without coming across big headed or nothing, I have taken my fair share of Bittern photographs. However catching a Bittern with a fish in its mouth has eluded me for some time. Thankfully, patience is a vertue, and practice makes perfect. I took up a good position and started photographing. The results were worth it:

 
 
 

All in all a lovely experience once again from Minsmere. I'd seen the manager, Ian Barnthorpe a few hours before hand and had explained this was my first trip this year which he ageknowledged but also said that it was early days and that I would get something soon enough.
Boy was he right. Thanks Ian.
 
Kind regards,
 
Chappers

No comments:

Post a Comment